Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Magic In Your Eyes



Published: August 1st, 2012
Hocus Pocus Hotel
Written by: Micahel Dahl, Illustrated by: Lisa K. Weber
Stone Arch Books
ISBN-13: 9781434242532


Ever since it was built by the great magician Abracadabra, the hotel Tyler Yu lives in has had its share of mysterious events. Ghosts wandering the halls, a magician who vanishes into thin air – Ty can’t figure these things out on his own. But Charlie Hitchcock, with his photographic memory, might just be the partner the school bully needs. Together, they’ll solve magical mysteries beyond your wildest imagination.

Review

   Charlie Hitchcock is a total geek, with a photographic memory.  Tyler Yu, the school bully, is saving up to buy a motorcycle working in his parents' hotel (called the Abracadabra).  But Mr. Madagascar, one of the tenants, has gone missing without paying his rent.  He is a retired magician and most of the hotel guests are former performers of some sort or another.  With the help of a very curious Charlie, the elevator operator Mr. Brack and the uncovering of some illusions that are too 'magical' to possibly be actual magic, can the boys find the missing magician in time to get the rent before Tyler's parents notice?  This was a fun book for me, as someone who never really read mysteries as a kid - it's something that I've gotten into a lot more now that I'm an adult.  But I loved the illustrations and Tyler's inept bullying, that isn't quite mean-spirited enough to be taken seriously.  Mr. Brack was alternately creepy and a wise old man who is still sharper than a tack.  The story was fun, even if the mirror set-ups do make it a little over complex to try any of the tricks at home.  The ending was cute and I look forward to future books in the series, just to see what places Charlie and Tyler go next.  Although, as an older reader I like a little bit more of an intricate plot to my stories nowadays.Overall I'd recommend this mostly for elementary and middle school aged readers and their teachers.

VERDICT:  3/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book was published August 1st, 2012.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!