Sunday, April 20, 2014

Do Androids Dream?


Expected Publication:  May 13th, 2014
Mila 2.0: Renegade (Mila 2.0 #2)
By: Debra Driza
Katherine Tegen
ISBN-13:  9780062090393

There is no one left for Mila to trust. Except for a boy she barely knows.

But Hunter has no idea who—and what—Mila really is. She can’t bear to reveal her secret, even though he’s unwittingly joined her search for Richard Grady, a man who may know more details of Mila’s complicated past.

Yet the road to the truth is more dangerous than ever. With General Holland and the Vita Obscura scouring the earth for her whereabouts, Mila must rely on her newfound android abilities to protect herself and Hunter from imminent harm. Still, embracing her identity as a machine leads her to question the state of her humanity—as well as Hunter’s real motives.

Review

     I have a serious problem as a reader: once I start reading a series, nine times out of ten I can't bring myself to stop.  It doesn't matter if the book isn't my cup of tea, I sincerely disliked it, etc.  I'm back in the game for the second round (and the third too, if its a trilogy)!   Turns out I have a thing about androids; I don't like them, I find it extremely difficult to empathize with them as the main characters and it just dampens my reading experience when they are a focus.  These are reasons as to why, even though I read the first Mila 2.0 book, I should NOT have read the second one in the series.  Take my advice kids, and don't waste your time reading about things that you have zero interest in.  It will make your lives SO much easier!
     That said, this wasn't necessarily a bad book.  It just turned out to be a really mediocre read for me personally.  Mainly, I did really enjoy the plot in this book.  As other readers have stated, its not the normal "Second Book Syndrome" book, with too much or too little action, plenty of info-dumping, and overall uneven shittiness.  In this book you have a concise plot, with Mila and Hunter on the run from General Holland and Vita Obscura and Mila trying to decide whether or not to tell Hunter her secret about her not fully human status.   The romance between the two was sweet and I did enjoy the dynamic of their scenes together.  Probably my biggest issue was the amount of focus on Mila's battle to come to terms with her android status.  As I said before, I just have zero sympathy for androids.  They are mainly machines, with human intelligence.  That doesn't mean that they're capable of emotions and I always think of their robotic natures, and never really connect.  I think that a lot of people who loved the first book will enjoy reading this one as well.  It was a very well-written and equalized seqeul.  It just wasn't my thing, AT ALL, and I from now on one promise to myself:  no more android books, EVER!

VERDICT:  3/5  Stars

*I received this book as part of Around the World ARC Tours, run by the lovely Princess Bookie.  No favors or money were exchanged for this review.  This book's expected publication date is May 13th, 2014.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!