Friday, October 24, 2014

More Like Twisted Stupidity...


Expected Publication:  January 20th, 2015
Twisted Fate
By: Norah Olson
Katherine Tegen Books
ISBN-13:  9780062272041

When Alyson meets Graham Copeland, the new boy next door, she instantly feels like he's a kindred spirit -- shy and awkward like her, someone who has trouble making friends.  It's impossible to resist having a crush on him.

As usual, her sister, Sydney, sees things differently.  In Sydney's mind, Graham's odd personality and secretive past scream psychopath, not sweetheart.  Her gut is telling her to stay away from him, and to protect a love-struck Alyson from her own naivete.  But despite her instincts, Sydney is surprised to realize that a part of her is drawn to Graham, too.  

And the more Sydney gets to know him, the more she realizes just how right -- and wrong -- she is about everything.

Review (SPOILERS -BEWARE!!!)

       This book is being compared (by the Goodreads blurb at least) to the E. Lockhart book We Were Liars, and the Mara Dyers series by Michelle Hodkin.  I see NO resemblance to either of those books (which I both really enjoyed by the way) and the only way this comes even close is that it tries to be a psychological thriller.  The operative word in that sentence being "tries."  I will admit freely that I did not read this entire book.  It is less than 300 pages long, and when I was almost a 100 pages into it and absolutely NOTHING had happened yet, I decided to do something a true reader almost never does (unless they truly can't help themselves).  I skipped to the last few pages, so I could see exactly how it ended.  Boy was I glad that I didn't waste my time reading the other 200 or so pages!!!
       Basically, this book is supposedley about twin sisters.  One is a true goody-two-shoes, with the personality of a wet rag and the mental capability of a kindergartner.  The other one is emo because she skateboards and a genius because she knows a few big words.  She is a truly annoying little bitch, overusing the word 'philistine' because she thinks it's cool for some unknown reason.  A new boy moves in next door.  Graham is supposed to be a "bad" boy.  Cue the drama, right?  At least that's what the book jacket suggests.  But then at the end, I found myself reading an obituary for one girl named Sydney Alyson.  That's right, there is not a twin - she has multiple personality disorder.  What the actual FUCK???!!!  Why is this even necessary???  I just can't even abide that at all.  It is the cheapest cop out in the history of thrillers, and is just an excuse for lazy writing and shitty characters.  Yeah, next E. Lockhart my ass (I apologize if the cursing offends you, but this is one of my least favorite plot devices, by far).  I am just so over this crap.  Learn how to write and get back to me.  I just might read something else by you - anything but this book anyways.  It burned my eyeballs from my head with that "shocking revelation."  And not in a good way.

VERDICT:  0.5/5  Stars (Goodreads would only let me go down to a 1 star - it's worse than that though.  One of the worst I've ever read!)

**I reviewed this book as part of Around the World ARC Tours, run by the lovely Princess Bookie.  No money or favors were exchanged for this review.  This book's expected publication date is January 20th, 2015.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!