Monday, July 23, 2012

If You're Angry and You Know It...



Expected Publication: August 28th, 2012
Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions # 1)
By: Louise Rozett
Harlequin Teen
ISBN-13: 9780373210480

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude.)


Review

   Rose Zarelli is fourteen years old and really angry at life.  Her Dad died recently, her Mom has completely withdrawn, and her brother went off to college and ditched them.  She has all of these confusing feelings for Jamie Forta, an older guy who everyone says is no good for her - and he might have a girlfriend.  Her best friend Tracy made the cheerleading squad and is dating a complete jerk named Matt.  Rose just doesn't understand the rules of high school and why everything has to change so much.  Will she always be this angry and on the fringes or can she get her life back together?  Rose tries to be a good friend and look out for Tracy, all the while being left behind and criticized for not thinking that popularity is the end-all-be-all of everything.  She's confused and angry because of her Dad's death.  She loves her brother but is totally pissed when he doesn't come home for Thanksgiving and goes to his girlfriend's house instead.  Plus she has to figure out whether or not she wants to get involved with Jamie or give in to Robert, who follows her around like a puppy that's been kicked a lot.  I sympathize with Rose so much and understand why she's so angry.  I also totally understand her confusion at the rules of high school society.  I hated that Rose saved her friend Stephanie from alcohol poisoning at a party and got labeled 911 Bitch and tormented for months afterward by the cheerleaders, especially Jamie's girlfriend who hated Rose's friendship with him.  Rose has attitude, snarky and sassy comebacks, plus she's a word nerd.  What's not to love?  Yes, she does stupid stuff a lot, but she's only fourteen.  I was angry that there was a cliffhanger at the end!  I want to know what happens now but I have to wait months on end for more of Rose and her screwed up life! :)  I definitely recommend this to people who like a strong heroine.  Don't be discouraged by her age, in this case it worked in her favor because she actually acted like it in a good way.

VERDICT:  4/5  Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book's expected publication date is August 28th, 2012.*

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds interesting.. CUTE BLOG.. I have nominated it for the Liebster Blog award. It is for newer bloggers, a way to get more followers. Check you my post for more details.. http://booknerdash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!