Friday, November 2, 2012

Follow Me Friday # 14


     So, Follow my Blog Friday is a meme hosted by Parajunkee andAlisonCanRead. It's where you answer the weekly question and then link yourself and you go and check out other blogs of your interest, helping to support out endeavors as a community.  Also, do it just because it's fun! :)

Q: What is a deal breaker for you in a book? For example, do you abhor love triangles? Or can’t deal with bad editing?


A:  It's kind of hard to just pick more than one.  I guess the thing that annoys me as a reader more THAN ANYTHING ELSE is mediocrity.  That is definitely a deal-breaker.  If I can't get invested in the book, the characters AND the story, I'm going to break up with it.  Another thing that's a deal breaker is whiny, self-indulgent, dependent and empty headed main characters - especially heroines.  If you want me to idolize someone, don't make them incapable of independent thought!!!  Those are just a couple of my main ones.  :)  Love triangles and constant, unresolved angst also bother me. What about you guys?  What are your deal breakers as a reader?  Also, I can't believe that this is my first F&F post since July!  WTF?  I didn't realize how busy I had gotten with school and work!

14 comments:

  1. I agree! I like my characters to be independent, too. Thanks for stopping by, I returned the follow :)

    Jessi @ Auntie Spinelli Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with all of these! I do like a good independent character!

    New follower via GFC, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Christine
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some books I can't get into because the first chapters are so uneventful. And characters that can't take care of themselves just make me close the book for good. There are way too many. New Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I break-up with a lot of books for the same reason!

    New follow via GFC.

    Julie~ New Adult Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I hate when a character is whiny. A big turn off for me.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. :) New follower of yours.

    - Beckie @ Bittersweet Enchantment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree with you! Thanks for stopping by. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!! I agree!!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I'm a new Linky Follower! ^_^

    ~Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, a bad main character can change my entire opinion on the novel.

    New follow via GFC.
    http://bookblondes.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-and-follow-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, just stopping by the FF and became a new follower. I agree, I am reading for the experience and I don't want a sos-so one. Here's my link PageGirlsPageofBookReviews
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree! You have to be able to connect with a character or it's a total no go. :D
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is has been a popular type of answer, and I totally agree with it. I'm not stupid and weak, and so don't really identify with main characters who are stupid and weak. Right?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog this week! New follower via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree, agree, and agree! Especially with the 1st point - why should I continue reading if I'm not invested in the story?
    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog, I’ve returned the favor :)
    Katie @ Fiction Predictions

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely agree. I don't like books that are just... not well done. It irks me, especially if it could be amazing. Great answer. thanks for stopping by and following. Following you back via GFC!
    Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason

    ReplyDelete

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!