Monday, December 3, 2012

Ink Connects Me and You


Expected Publication:  June 25th, 2013
Ink (The Paper Gods # 1)
By: Amanda Sun
HarlequinTeen
ISBN-13:  9780373210718

I looked down at the paper, still touching the tip of my shoe. I reached for it, flipping the page over to look.

Scrawls of ink outlined a drawing of a girl lying on a bench.

A sick feeling started to twist in my stomach, like motion sickness.

And then the girl in the drawing turned her head, and her inky eyes glared straight into mine.


On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.


Review
 
     Katie Greene has just lost her Mom and now she's losing her home too.  Due to an outdated will, she is being sent to live with her Aunt Diane all the way in Japan instead of her Grandparents in Canada.  At first she is despondent and not making much of an effort.  But then she meets Yuu Tomohiro, the school kendo (a type of martial arts from what I gather) star and is intrigued by him.  Oh, there's also that little thing where his drawings come to life!  Refusing to be brushed off, Katie moves herself deeper and deeper into Tomo's world and the dangers that come with it.  But will she survive the journey?  And can Tomo and Katie have a relationship that lasts when something in her makes his ability even harder to control than ever before?  I really loved this book!  It was everything I was hoping to read when I subjected myself to Katana by: Cole Gibsen, which was a far inferior book to this one in my opinion.  Katie was a great heroine, strong and feisty but not afraid to show her grief for her Mom.  At the same time she was learning a language, making friends (Yuki was the cutest thing ever, loved her big mouth and all) and adjusting to living with Diane, her Aunt who she barely knows.  Diane was a believeable parent substitute which is a rare thing in YA.  You could tell that she loved Katie, but had no idea how to deal with the responsibility of having her in Japan.  Tomo was smug and rude, but he had a great heart.  I was broken after learning his back-story.  The whole subplot with the Yakuza gang trying to recruit him for his power was chilling and honest.  I loved his loyalty to his friend who has joined Yakuza, even with the danger to himself.  The whole ink drawings coming to life plotline was scary and thrilling, just like it should be.  The lack of control made for some terrifying events especially with an ink dragon.  The immersion in Japanese culture was honest and never came across as fake.  I never even needed the glossary in the back of the book because of the easy style of the author.  I loved the ending, but am dying for the next one already and this one won't be published for another 7 months!  The only thing I could have been happier with was a little less romantic angst.  Overall, a great book that I would recommend for mythology fans who want a fresh read. 
 
VERDICT:  4.5/5  Stars
 
*I received this book as part of Around the World ARC Tours, run by the lovely Princess Bookie. No favors or money were exchanged for this review. It will be available for purchase on June 25th, 2013.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!