Tuesday, December 4, 2012

You Tessered to Me


Published:  October 2nd, 2012
A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel
By: Hope Larson
Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
ISBN-13:  9780374386153

The world already knows Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, Calvin O'Keefe, and the three Mrs--Who, Whatsit, and Which--the memorable and wonderful characters who fight off a dark force and save our universe in the Newbery award-winning classic A Wrinkle in Time. But in 50 years of publication, the book has never been illustrated. Now, Hope Larson takes the classic story to a new level with her vividly imagined interpretations of tessering and favorite characters like the Happy Medium and Aunt Beast. Perfect for old fans and winning over new ones, this graphic novel adaptation is a must-read.

Review
 
     The story of Meg and Charles Murray Wallace and their friend Calvin O'Keefe is one that many children have known for decades and loved dearly.  Hope Larson puts a spin on things by re-telling that story as a graphic novel.  I went into this one thinking that it wouldn't translate well AT ALL and being completely amazed by what Larson managed to do!  At the heart of things, this is really a book about two kids determined to find their lost Father and bring him home.  Which is probably why I was wrong and it translated so well, even with other planets, galaxies and creatures like 'Aunt Beast' to illustrate.  With the actual illustration to go with the explanation of a tesseract, as a reader I finally understood that concept, wheras before I was totally lost.  Some of my absolute favorite illustrations though, were of Aunt Beast and her kind, when Meg is being taken care of by them.  This was a far more professional effort than a lot of classic retellings via graphic novel, and I wouldn't be at all opposed to reading more of the series done as graphic novels by this artist/author.  I think she did a remarkable job (my only complaint being that Calvin didn't look at all as I pictured him - but that's a personal problem!) and I will be trying to find her other work to read while I'm waiting for her next book.  Overall, gorgeous artwork that keeps to the heart of the original book and I highly recommend it to newcomers and longtime fans of L'Engle's Wrinkle series.
 
VERDICT:  4.5/5 Stars
 
**No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores, online, or maybe even at your local library.**
 
One of my favorite panels:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!