Hi everyone! As my followers have by now learned, I am passionate about Young Adult books. But I also love many other forms of expression, including music. I truly believe in the quote that is pictured above and as such have decided to create a weekly meme that is dedicated to
sharing music that I believe in, music that has touched me, made me laugh/cry or just plain feel something more. Every week, Listen Closely Wednesdays will talk about five songs that have been important to me that week, why they made the list and I will post all pertinent info about the song itself as well. If you wish to do this on your own blog, please credit me. It is something that I would love to share but I do want to be recognized as this having been my own, original idea. On that note, feel free to comment about the things I share with you or about the music that's on your mind at the time. I'd love to hear all about it! Without further adieu, let's kick off this week's Listen Closely Wednesday!
Five Songs I Think People Should Hear At Least Once
1. 'Santa Monica' sung by: Everclear
- This song is available most notably on the album "Sparkle and Fade" (1995) I'm sure it is fairly easy to find! :)
- Reason Behind It: I love Everclear. Art Alexakis and the rest of the badn are just plain awesome. The lyrics get into your soul, the music keeps you going all day long and they are so into their performance you can't help but be too. Everclear is EPIC.
2. 'I'm Only Happy When It Rains' sung by: Garbage
- This song is available most notably on the self-titled album "Garbage" (1995) Which can be found on iTunes, Amazon and the Android market.
- Reason Behind It: Talk about 90s grunge rock and these guys come up in the conversation most likely. They are great lyrically, forerunners of emo music in my opinion but with more rock and less whine. Definitely a song everyone should hear at least once.
3. 'Wonderwall' sung by: Oasis
- This song is available most notably on the album "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" (1995) This is available on iTunes, Amazon, and the Android Market. It should also be fairly easy to find other places as well because Oasis is a very popular band of the 90s.
- Reason Behind It: I love this song, it always makes you feel like you're floating. It also reminds you of all the important people in your life and how empty you'd be without them. We all need saving sometimes.
4. 'Tubthumping' sung by: Chumbawamba
- This song is available on the album "Tubthumping" (1997), which can be found on Amazon, iTunes, the Android market and in many other places.
- Reason Behind It: It's one of those really annoying songs that somehow manages to make you sing along and know all of the words. You never happen to forget the words, even though you should really only be drunk when singing this song (it's the only real excuse for it). That's all the explanation needed.
5. 'Say It Ain't So' sung by: Weezer
- This song is available on the album self-entitled "Weezer" (1994), which can be found on iTunes, Amazon, the Android market and many other places were music is sold.
- Reason Behind It: Until recently I associated this song very strongly with the 90s, but had no idea that Weezer was the band that sang it. That's how Weezer is, they sneak into your everyday listening until Rivers Cuomo writes the soundtrack to your life. That's why everyone shoudl hear this song at least once.
That's all for this weeks edition of Listen Closely Wednesdays. I'm honored if you decided to read this post and I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy listening my friends! :)