Hi everyone! As my followers have by now learned, I am passionate about Young Adult books. But I also love many other forms of expression, including music. I truly believe in the quote that is pictured above and as such have decided to create a weekly meme that is dedicated to
Five Songs That Spotlight Buddy Holly (Who Has Been on My Mind This Week)
1. 'That'll Be The Day' sung by: Buddy Holly
- This is availble in so many places, on so many albums it isn't funny. The same goes for all four of the other songs, therefore I WILL NOT be repeating this spiel again! :)
- Reason Behind It: This is one the three Holly songs people are most likely to recognize, even if they are unsure who sings it (the others are 'Peggy Sue' and 'Everyday'). It is a great song and it put Holly and his band The Crickets at the forefront of the beginning of the rock n' roll movement. Everyone should listen to this at least once.
2. 'Maybe Baby' sung by: Buddy Holly
- Reason Behind It: This song has such a blatant sense of longing about it but the lyrics are ones that cheer you up (even when causing your heart to ache inside of your chest). It speaks of rejection but hope for the future. It's wonderful.
3. 'Not Fade Away' sung by: Buddy Holly
- Reason Behind It: I love all the jumps Buddy's voice makes in this song and the way the music complements them instead of overshadowing. Also, the constancy hinted at in the lyrics is the stuff of dreams. At least my dreams anyways! :)
4. 'Rave On' sung by: Buddy Holly
- Reason Behind It: It's SO freaking catchy! I love this song's beat and general rhythms, plus the lyrics are just plain fun (maybe not so serious, but not every song has to be).
5. 'True Love Ways' sung by: Buddy Holly
- Reason Behind It: The unfairness of life makes me want to cry. You can tell by this song just how much Holly loved his wife Maria and that he was taken from her so suddenly is cruel. The day the music died is on my mind when I hear this song, but so is every beautiful the world has ever given me - and that is the wonder of Buddy Holly.
That's all for this weeks edition of Listen Closely Wednesdays. I'm honored if you decided to read this post and I would love to hear your thoughts. Happy listening my friends! :)
IN MEMORY OF BUDDY HOLLY, THE BIG BOPPER, RITCHIE VALENS, and the pilot, ROGER PETERSON.
RIP: FEBRUARY 3rd, 1959 (THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED)