Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, which allows bloggers to share lists of some of our favorite (and not-so favorite) things. This week we’ll be highlighting the top ten things that make our lives as book bloggers easier! There are so many in reality, but it's tough to list them all of the top of your head isn't it? Well, let's see if we can make a top ten list for it!
Top Eight Things That Make My Life As A Blogger Easier
1. Goodreads: Without this website, I wouldn't be blogging anyways. It was such an influence on my life as a reader and some of the best suggestions/discussions I have are with friends and fellow club members on Goodreads. Plus it lets me set challenges for myself and keep track of my books a lot easier. It's a godsend for me!
2. My library: I actually worked at my local library from the time I was 16 until I was 21. I don't think I would have stopped reading had I not worked there, but it kept my love and need for it alive. Also, my library gave me life-long friends who were once just co-workers and it always has something for me to take home and read. It's a win no matter how you look at it.
3. Kindle: Yes, I know Amazon is the evil empire. That said, about 98% of my ARCs are ebooks and without my Kindle it would be a real bitch to read them. I should know, because when I first got into Netgalley I was downloading onto my computer. It's not something most people want to mess with and I am no exception. My Kindle has made sure I always have something on hand to read, even if it's just for a 10 minute wait in my Doctor's office. I <3 it very much!
4. Other book blogs/ARC tour sites: I don't get much time to explore, but you guys are definitely what keeps me going! And wonderful weekly thought bombs like the one hosted here definitely help keep me connected to everyone and not just in the book zone 24/7 (not that it's a bad place to be, it can just get overwhelming). It's wonderful to know I'm not alone and to see differing opinions.
5. Netgalley/Edelweiss: These are major sources for me, especially as someone with no publishing contacts and no real drive to contact places like Simon & Schuster and request physical ARCs (it makes me feel like I'm begging for loose change). Without them it would be all library books, all the time. With them, I read a lot of things I might not normally choose to pick up in the library either. Netgalley especially has revived my inner comic book nerd and it's a beautiful thing.
6. Authors: There are a LOT of authors out in the big, wide world and the interactions that I've had with some of them have been totally groovy in the best way possible. I am starting to get more into blog tours and am getting at least one request a week now in my e-mail inbox. But I'll never forget working with people like Cidney Swanson and Megan Curd, who are just so gracious and deserving of all good things in the world. Great writing is all well and good, but the wonderful people behind it can elevate things to an even greater level.
7. Audiobooks: As someone who works A LOT and doesn't always get the chance to read as much as I want, I usually have a few audiobooks on my iPod at a time. I can usually count on at least between 2 1/2 - 5 hours of uninterrupted listening time and if it's good enough I'll keep it on when I'm doing other things at home. These keep my mind busy, I love a good narrator and they make the copious amounts of car time in my life bearable. What's not to love?
8. Used Bookstores or really Bookstores of any kind: I do frequent the chain store in my area a decent amount (Barnes and Noble) but I also love having a great used bookstore only 20 minutes or so away. I have been going there for the better part of a decade, and they have a great mix of new and old books. It's one of those stores with shelves so close together, you have to turn sideways and suck in your stomach to pass down the aisle. The low prices, trades and selection always manage to pull me out of a slump. Best cure for any sort of ill I can think of.
So, I fell a little bit short this week with only 8/10 things I can think of for this list! Can't wait to see what you guys have on your own top ten lists (maybe I'll get some ideas for improvement with my own way of doing things). Thanks for joining me and happy Tuesday y'all! :)