Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Listen Closely Wednesdays (LCW) # 1

http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com

   Hi everyone!  As my followers have by now learned, I am passionate about Young Adult books.  But I also love many other forms of expression, including music.  I truly believe in the quote that is pictured above and as such have decided to create a weekly meme that is dedicated to sharing music that I believe in, music that has touched me, made me laugh/cry or just plain feel something more.    Every week, Listen Closely Wednesdays will talk about five songs that have been important to me that week, why they made the list and I will post all pertinent info about the song itself as well.  If you wish to do this on your own blog, please credit me.  It is something that I would love to share but I do want to be recognized as this having been my own, original idea.  On that note, feel free to comment about the things I share with you or about the music that's on your mind at the time.  I'd love to hear all about it!  Without further adieu, let's kick off the first ever LCW! :)

Five Songs That Have Made Me Not Completely Hate Working Retail During the Week Before/Of Christmas (Specifically Working in a Toy Department, a.k.a. Hell-on-Earth)

1.    'Mele Kalikimaka' Sung by: Bing Crosby 
-This song is available on iTunes (and probably MANY other places), on the album "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby (with the occasional guest collaborations)

-Reason Behind It: Every time I hear this song, I imagine being on an island, "a land where palm trees sway" instead of being ready to lose my mind on the next person who asks me if we have any more Fijit friends or Angry Birds board games in stock.  Plus, Bing's voice is a happy place for me at anytime of the year.  Living in Michigan means that at this time of year, with the nasty weather, I am ALWAYS wishing for a Mele Kalikimaka holiday - even when there is no holiday left.


2.  'I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas' Sung by: Gayla Peevy
-This song is available on iTunes (and God knows where else), more specifically on the album "Vintage Childrens Favourites" by Various Artists (alongside such gems as "You're a Pink Toothbrush" and "Pickin' a Chicken"...I'm actually being serious right now, promise!)

-Reason Behind It: I have always loved gag songs, especially this one and "The Streak" sung by Ray Stevens.  They are hilarious, often have very odd or nonsensical lyrics and keep you laughinf with strange expressions on your face the entire time.  Plus, an added bonus is that everytime I think of a child actually getting a hippopotamus for Christmas, I imagine some of my more rotten customers with children being trampled.  Screw holiday spirit, yes, I realize I'm evil.  Deal with it and it will eventually pass. 


3.  'Blue Christmas' Sung by: Elvis Presley
-This song is available on iTunes (and anywhere else Elvis has been heard of, i.e. everywhere on Earth just about) on a few albums, "Elvis Christmas" (2006), "Elvis' Christmas Album" (1957) to name just a couple.

-Reason Behind It:  This is my first Christmas without my Grandpa Vernon, my maternal Grandfather.  My Grandma Barb, his wife, has been obsessed with Elvis since LONG before I was even a subconcious pondering in my parents' oddly shaped thoughts.    It is an obsession that I have proudly inherited and display like a banner.  But even with the previous love for it, this song has special meaning for me this year because of my Grandpa.  I wasn't extremely close to him, but I do miss him still.


4.  'Kidnap the Sandy Claws' sung by: Catherine O'Hara, Danny Elfman & Paul Reubens
-This is available on iTunes (and anywhere else the soundtrack for "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is sold.  Work of genius may I just say...) on the album "Nightmare Before Christmas" by Various Artists.

-Reason Behind It: Although I have not always disliked the holiday season so much as I do now, even as a child I was fascinated by the film, "The Nightmare Before Christmas."  I loved the music, the visuals, the story and the feelings it evoked in me.  It still makes me feel connected to the holidays in a way I usually don't.  Plus, it is pretty fascinating to think about Halloween meeting Christmas and trying to take it over!  I love 'Kidnap the Sandy Claws' most though because of the purely gleeful, thrill of mischief the thought of hog-tieing 'that big red lobster man' gives me, even as an adult.  The lyrics are clever also. 


5.  'Narcissitic Cannibal' sung by: Korn featuring Skrillex and Kill The Noise
-This is available on iTunes (plus many other places I'm sure, since it's quite a popular song) on the album "The Path of Totality" (2011) by Korn (with quite a few collaborations).

-Reason Behind It: The lyrics have just struck a chord in me lately.  I guess sometimes the monotony of my life below the poverty line gets to me.  I have a home, a good family situation and more than a lot of people monetarily above me could ever dream of.  But sometimes I feel trapped by circumstance, which is normal for the human race from what I imagine.  Still, doesn't diminish the feelings even when you can rationalize them.  And I've been feeling it a lot lately.  Here's the chorus:
"Sometimes I hate
The life I made
Everything is wrong every time
Pushing on, I can't escape
Everything that comes my way
Haunting me taking it's sweet time
Holding on, I'm lost in a haze
Fighting life 'til the end of my days"




   That's all for this weeks edition of Listen Closely Wednesdays.  I'm honored if you decided to read this post and I would love to hear your thoughts.  Happy listening my friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!