Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sometimes I Do Dumb Crap...Then I Justify It

Published: July 12th, 2011
Sometimes It Happens
Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN-13: 9781442413146


On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Sebastian dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction—and one night, into a passionate kiss. The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Sebastian, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think...

Review

   Hannah and Ava have been best friends for a long time.  So when Ava leaves to be a summer camp counselor during the summer before their senior year, after Hannah is cheated on by her boyfriend Sebastian, Hannah is lost without a clue how to live normally.  Then Ava's boyfriend Noah forces her out of her pajamas and self-pity, and into a job at the diner he and their friend Lacey work at, Cooley's.  Slowly as the summer goes on, Hannah finds herself getting over Sebastian.  This would be great, except for her and Noah's growing feelings for one another. Then on the last day before school starts they do the unthinkable - they sleep together, before he breaks up with Ava.  Can Hannah get the guy, salvage all her broken friendships and survive the first day of senior year?  This book alternates between the start of the summer all the way through the end of it and the first day of school, beginning to end.  I do give Lauren Barnholdt credit for making me read all the way to the end.  Which I regretted, because it was an enormous waste of time.  Ava was a complete and total bitch, Hannah was wimp who couldn't even really defend her decision to cheat, Noah and Sebastian were total d-bags who don't deserve air or space and Lacey was an overwrought hypochondriac who made me roll my eyes a lot.  I did not care for this book AT ALL.  I liked Hannah at the beginning, but that didn't last folks.  The synopsis also gives the false impression that the ending won't be quite so predictable.  It was totally predictable which did nothing to save it's honor in my eyes.  Cheating is NEVER justified people, and it's not romantic.  NOT EVER.  You want a book with self respect?  Read Anna and the French Kiss, not this complete and utter trash.  Recommended only as an overly pricey chew-toy for pet owners.

VERDICT: 1.5/5  Stars and a good, swift drop-kick from my window (not really, but I wanted to...and that's being KIND!)

*No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book is now available in stores and online.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated and I always read them with a smile on my face! :) While I appreciate the thought, this an award-free blog as well. I just don't have the time to keep up with it. Thank you for my smiles and please share your thoughts! Also, sorry for the Captcha, but I've been getting a lot of spam lately!